This teaching provides some practical lessons on various ways to practice the Gift of Prophecy and Word of Knowledge. It is only in practicing that your confidence grows and your accuracy increases.
One day, a younger minister met an older minister at the airport and the younger one asked the older one a question: "Sir, How do I grow in the gifts of the Spirit"... The answer the older minister gave was simple: “use it" You cannot grow in the gifts of the spirit or in the realms of the Prophetic if you don't constantly use the gift.
Anything you don't use diminishes in value
Anything you don't use simply shows that you don't value it or not so interested in it So the way to grow in the Prophetic realms is to use the little one you have Don't wait for it to grow before you start exercising it... If you do that, it won't grow. Some are waiting for perfect accuracy... If you wait, it will waste
Unfortunately, some Christians misunderstand the definition of practicing the gifts of the Holy Spirit... We are not practicing so that the Holy Spirit can improve His gifts, but rather we are practicing to improve our ability to flow with what the Holy Spirit is doing
1Samuel 19:20 "Then Saul sent messengers to take David, but when they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, with Samuel standing and presiding over them, the Spirit of God came upon the messengers of Saul; and they also prophesied" Practicing the gifts of the Spirit should take place in an atmosphere of love and a culture of spiritual authority. Without being in submission to true spiritual authority, we are like a contractor who builds a skyscraper without a foundation.
The first time the wind blows, it will fall to the ground. The first time you will start practicing spiritual gifts, you will really be scared because you might not know you are correct or not. then your major challenge won't be inaccuracy but your fears.
Every believer has the Holy Spirit in him/her...It is our fear that is our problem, not the absence of the Spirit
No Pain—No Gain
In the Book of First Timothy, Paul exhorts Timothy to minister in his spiritual gift beyond his comfort zone. Anyone who has ever performed physical exercise knows that there is little profit to exercising until your body feels a degree of pain Therefore, if we wake up the morning after exercising and we're not sore, we would realize that the exercise only maintained our current condition! We don't exercise to maintain our current position, we exercise to improve ourselves... Beyond your comfort zone. The same principle applies to our spiritual growth. If we only do what is comfortable for us, we will fail to grow.
Whenever we are truly growing, there will always be an element of discomfort
The things you are afraid of often hold the greatest rewards.
Don't be afraid to make steps you have not taken before.... It might be the key to your breakthrough!
"Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery. Take pains with these things; be absorbed in them, so that your progress will be evident to all (1 Timothy 4:14-15).
PUT THE GIFT IN THE FIRE
Paul, in Second Timothy 1:6, reminds Timothy to "kindle afresh the gift of God." Looking to the Greek translation, this phrase signifies "putting the gift through the fire or joining the gift with fire."
Whenever we step out in faith, we must step over fear
Fear is the guard dog that is protecting the fortress of spiritual prosperity.
When the dog starts barking, we can be sure that the treasure he is guarding is near. Most people do not allow their gifts to be forged in the fire of risk...
The result: their gifts are weak and not tempered. I am going to give you some suggestions on practicing the gifts of prophecy
• Suggestions for Practicing Prophecy
The following are practical suggestions for practicing the gifts of the Spirit.
1. Prophesy your day. When you wake in the morning, pray and ask the Lord for information about something that will happen during your day. Write it down as clearly as you understand it. At the end of the day, check and see if the event that you prophesied to yourself happened. Also see how well you understood the specific details of the event(s). When you start riding on the wings of the Prophetic, the first rehearsals is usually with your daily activities. The Lord reveals to you what will happen during the day. In my own case, The Lord will show me the plates or the glass cup I will break that day. No matter how careful I try to be, it will happen.
2. Practice words of knowledge. Go to a restaurant or public place of business and pray for the person who is providing a service for you. Ask the Lord for words of knowledge for the person. It is usually best if you do this when the person is not in your presence. Write down the words of knowledge on a piece of paper. Later you can "interview" the person concerning the words of knowledge you received. For example, if you think the Lord showed you that the person you are receiving words for has three children; you can simply ask him or her if they have any children. If the answer is yes, you can inquire how many, etc. When you are first learning, I would suggest you not tell the person that you have words of knowledge from God... In the beginning, this practice is more about you growing in your gift than about ministering. As your ability to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit improves, you will begin to step out in boldness and faith.
3. Team up with another person. Enlist the help of a prayer partner. Pray for one another and ask the Lord for words of knowledge for each other. Take turns sharing what you believe God has shown you. Let the recipient judge the word you are giving to them. Obviously, this works best if both of you are trying to grow in your spiritual gifts. It is important in this exercise to be extremely truthful with one another so as to gain an honest assessment of how you are doing.
4. Words of knowledge for healing. You can practice words of knowledge for healing in a group setting by simply praying and asking the Lord to show you anyone who is experiencing illness or pain. This will often come as a sensation in your body that directly coincides with the part of someone else's body that the Lord wants to heal. If it is appropriate in the meeting, ask the group if anyone has the specific problem in their body. Then afterward, you should pray for that person and experience the joy of seeing the Lord heal them!
5. Prophesying as a group. Another way to practice in a group setting is to choose one member of the group and have the others prophesy to that person. As the words are given, ask a member of the group to write them down. After an adequate number of prophetic words are given, ask the person who received the prophetic words to judge the words and give feedback to the group about the accuracy of the word... This improves your spiritual reception.
6. Prophetic intercession. Prophetic intercession is practiced as we pray. Often in prayer, the Lord will give you insight into people's lives. Prophesy the answer to each of these issues that you see in the lives of these people and then ask the Lord to let your paths cross that day... You will be amazed at how many times the Lord will bring people to your mind to pray for — people you haven't seen in months, or even years. Most likely, you will soon hear from them.